BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Carb Watch Pitas, yum!





In the past year or so that I've been dieting and trying (stress on trying to) exercise, I've discovered that bread and related products (pasta, rice, etc) is one of the great saboteurs of a healthy eating regimen.
It's just so high in carbs, fats and calories that it turns an ordinary sandwich into some kind of spiral of shame where you feel that even eating half may be pushing it for the day. This is even worse if you're one of those types who still champion the cause of Wonder Bread and other nutrient deficient processed sliced bread brands.
I highly recommend against eating such things, but we'll save that rant for another blog at another time.
Recently, I've discovered the Middle East Baking Co's Carb Watch Pitas. These little babies are a miracle to your diet, no matter what kind of diet kick you're on. (Especially those of you doing Atkins or South Beach).
These pitas aren't as bready or sweet as most pitas out there. Rather, they have a satisfying slightly doughy texture that reminds me of fresh Roti or other basic, peasant-food type flat breads.
Because of this doughier texture, they can be a little harder to cut open and stuff them, but I find they're just as good if you roll them like a tortilla or bake cheese or veggies on them flat like a small pizza crust.
I'm in love with these things, and are fast replacing regular bread as my staple of choice when making a quick and dirty lunchtime sandwich, or I need something to sop up my soup with.
Take a look at this nutritional info. Wow! Only 6 carbs per half a pita.:

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1/2 Pita


Amount per Serving

Calories 35 Calories from Fat 15

% Daily Value *
Total Fat 1g2%
Saturated Fat 0g0%
Cholesterol 0mg0%
Sodium 150mg6%
Total Carbohydrate 6g2%
Dietary Fiber 3g12%
Sugars 0g
Protein 2g4%

Calcium10%
Iron2%

Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 25.7% Carbs 68.6%
Protein 22.9%

2 comments:

Wendy Starr said...

Wow that is great! I will have to look out for these in my local market. I have been eating Flat Out wraps lately because they are sooo high in fiber and also have a doughy texture that I love. They are much higher in calories than these but the high fiber content is somewhat redeeming lol.

Catyanna said...

I found low carb flour tortilla's at the grocery store. I have to watch my carbs because if I eat too many, I get "high", but not in a good way.